WHAT IS BIOGAS?
When captured and utilised sustainably, biogas is an environmentally-friendly gas. It is generated through anaerobic digestion of organic materials in a fully enclosed digester containing anaerobic microorganisms and very low levels of oxygen. Anaerobic microorganisms thrive in low-oxygen environments, consume organic matter and excrete biogas.
WHAT ORGANIC WASTE CAN BE USED IN BIOGAS PRODUCTION?
Food waste, manure, agricultural or plant-based waste, municipal solid waste (rubbish) and industrial wastewater or sludge containing high levels of organic compounds.
WHAT IS THE COMPOSITION?
Biogas is composed of methane (55-65%) and carbon dioxide, with trace amounts of hydrogen sulphide and moisture. The quantities of these components varies depending on the type of waste used to produce it and the efficiency of the biogas conversion technology.
WHAT IS BIOGAS USED FOR?
Biogas can be compressed and stored in pressurised cylinders or tanks and can then be used directly to fuel vehicles, as cooking gas for stoves or to fuel industrial-grade boilers to generate thermal energy such as steam or hot water. Alternatively, biogas can also be used as a feedstock in a genset to produce electricity. However, for this purpose the biogas must be purified by stripping off the hydrogen sulphide and moisture content before being fed into the genset.
HOW CAN BECIS HELP YOU CONVERT YOUR ORGANIC WASTE INTO CLEAN BIOENERGY?
- We will finance and build a biogas generation system onsite at your premises (for example: food processing factories, breweries, livestock farms or hatcheries).
- We will collect the organic waste available on your premises (for example: wastewater from factories and breweries or animal manure) to generate biogas.
- The biogas that we generate can either be supplied back to you as an end-product for your own use or we can convert it further into electricity or thermal energy such as steam, in which case we will then supply you with renewable electricity or renewable steam to meet your consumption needs.
HOW WILL BECIS SOLUTION BENEFIT YOU?
- By reducing your energy costs, having converted your organic waste into clean bioenergy.
- By reducing greenhouse gas emissions with the capture of emitted methane, which is turned into biogas for sustainable consumption.